Saturday, March 26, 2011

Curing Childhood Cancer through Endurance Athletics


"If you want to lift yourself up lift up someone else"

In December of 2008, I was in the midst of fighting kidney disease.  During that period I spent a lot of time on dialysis.  I will never forget one time when I was on dialysis at University of Penn Hosp when I made friends with a 9 year old girl that was on dialysis as well.  In fact, I met her while we were both having our treatments.  She was miserable, scared, and frustrated; so was I.  I told myself that there was no way I could "feel sorry" for myself when she was next to me.  For the next 2.5 hours we watched cartoons, played eye spy, and just talked.  For that few hours, she forgot she was on dialysis and so did I.  

Ever since that day, I knew that when I was healthy, I would do whatever I could to help children with chronic illnesses.  A few months ago, Jennifer Kelly, an employee of Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF), attended one of my seminars at The Running Place in Newtown Sq.  She then told me about a program that ALFS has called Team Lemon.  Participants that sign up for Team Lemon raise money for ALFS while training for a specific endurance event.  This event could be a running or triathlon based race.  Well I'm very excited to announce that I will be the head coach for ALFS Team Lemon in the 2011 season.  I'm thrilled to be helping athletes of all shapes and sizes with their training for their specific endurance events in honor of ALFS.  



To learn more about ALFS and Team Lemon you can go here:  http://www.alexslemonade.org/campaign/team-lemon

Maybe you can be a part of curing childhood cancer?!

Coach Jason 









No comments:

Post a Comment