Thursday, December 9, 2010

Starting from Scratch Yet Again


I’m starting from scratch and taking another crack at writing a blog again. In my first attempt I failed miserably at maintaining the blog.  I also failed in returning to racing triathlons in the 2010 racing season.  Just like in the past, injury has plagued me again, and it could have been avoided.  I fell into the old saying “do as I say, not as I do”. 
When I lecture on topics such as periodization, structuring your training season, or injury prevention I often talk about the fast food mentality.  The fast food mentality is not being patient, and wanting something now.  When I returned to training I wanted to achieve fitness quickly, because I had set some ambitious goals for myself. We know from principles of physiology, that there are no short cuts or “fast food” approaches to achieving fitness quickly, because its not an over night process.
Thankfully someone very close to me gave me a simple piece of advice.  They reminded me that it was less than 2 years ago I was dying, and could not train at all.  Instead of worrying about being competitive I should be happy that I’m able to train and not sitting in a hospital bed.  The person that gave me the advice had a similar experience and was unable to train for a period of time.  Not to long after they returned to training, they began to race again. Their race results did not produce any personal records, but that did not matter to them.  After returning to racking they posted on their facebook status “I’m so happy to be back triahloning again”.  So its time for me to start from scratch, progress slowly, and regain my appreciation for simply being able to train, and maybe even able compete someday.  
Happy Training
Coach Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment