Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What the Medical Professionals Say

This will be a short post.  I want to give everyone a background on my medical history and what some medical professionals have to say on the matter.   Plain and simple I have not been blessed with the best genetics, but you have to work with what you got.  When I was fourteen I was diagnosed polycystic kidney disease.  Instead my typing up the degenerative process of that disease and how it lead to an eventual kidney transplant you can read a quick recap here: http://blog.nj.com/southjerseylife/2009/04/a_special_bond.html
Now I have also had extensive muscoskeletal injuries, specifically ITB and patella femoral syndrome.  These injuries lead to two knee surgeries a few years back.  I have been evaluated time and time again, and it seems a lot of my muscoskeletal problems are from my hips.  Below I have listed some quotes from two professionals that I very much highly respect and with their help will bring me back to my running ways.  Their quotes are there thoughts on my medical situation and suggestions.  Take away message, I have some work to do!
“Currently, you are trying to use your TFL to play the role of the hip abductors and external rotators. This translates into a gait that exhibits excessive hip adduction (you run with your knee collapsing in) and in knee external rotation (you run toed out). That pattern results in excessive shear forces in the medial compartment of your knees. When you run, focus more on getting your foot to point straight ahead.
You really need to get those glutes a lot stronger yet. I highly recommend doing some lateral cable column skaters (anchor a cable column cable to your waist with a belt and perform skate from side to side). This will be very hard for your glutes.
Basically, you need to spend some serious time:

1) improving the flexibility of your hip flexors (TFL and iliopsoas).
2) Improving the strength and recruitment of your hip abductors and external rotators”
Richard Willy, PT, MPT, OCS
BIOMS Doctoral Candidate
Department of Physical Therapy
University of Delaware
"In my opinion, your biggest challenge, and the primary limiting variable, has been the systemic barriers created by the polycystic kidney disease. Obviously, it has effected your posture, effected your strength and flexibility. But those variables can be improved with work and time"

"Keep up with your strengthening, flexibility, and postural training." 

Jeff Wood MPT, OCS 

Happy Training

Coach Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment